I spend an inordinate amount of time on Instagram.
I love seeing what other people are up to, Macklemore’s Instagram Stories about his adorable tiny person give me life, and sometimes when I can’t get out of the house because of single-mom-two-kids-three-jobs-one-cat-all-the-things, it’s my window to the world and helps me feel not so much alone.
But it also can be a huge time grab.
Y’all know I love a good shortcut. Anything that maintains quality while making my life easier is #1 on my list forever and ever, amen.
So when I had a raging argument with autocorrect on my iPhone one day while trying to type out each individual hashtag I use for indexing my photos for the search monkeys within Instagram, it hit me:
Why not use my Autocorrect for GOOD?
So I set up Autocorrect Hashtags so instead of cursing whatever my autocorrect comes up with (like “I need you to get party beef”. What?) I can use it to my advantage.
Here’s how it works: I have different sets of hashtags, depending on the type of photo.
I create a saying (something I wouldn’t normally type, like “foodie1”), and each saying will autocorrect and populate all the hashtags I need.
So here’s how I do it. (These instructions are for iPhone – if you have an Android, follow these instructions to manipulate your autocorrect.)
- Make your hashtag list. Use Notepad for this, so you can copy/paste.There’s several apps you can use to gather relevant hashtags for your account, but I just look for hashtags that are well-traveled, but maybe not the TOP hashtag. You want to get your photos to show up in the top photos!
- Go to Settings on your phone, and hit “General”.
- From General, go to Keyboard.
- In the Keyboard menu, click Text Replacement.
- From Text Replacement, click the “+” sign in the upper right hand corner. (You can see all my hashtag shortcuts on this one!)
- That will bring you to the screen that you create your shortcut.
You want to choose a phrase for your shortcut that you don’t normally (or accidentally!) type. As you can see from my list, I use things like “foodie1” or “bestnorth” because I wouldn’t normally type those words on accident or on purpose.Put your shortcut word into the “Shortcut” field and copy the hashtags you selected in group one from your notepad and paste them in the “Phrase” field.
Then go hit up your Instagram and hashtag everything!
Let me know when you try this handy shortcut – feel free to put a link to your hashtagged Instagram photo in the comments here! <3